Merit Pages for New York Tech Students
What is a Merit Page?
A Merit Page is an online profile of a New York Tech student that can be updated by both the student and the university. Updates happen from the student’s first day of classes to graduation and beyond.1 New York Tech began offering its Merit Pages program to enrolled students in August 2018.
Merit helps New York Tech students build their reputation by documenting, sharing, and promoting:
- academic achievements,
- awards and honors they receive as a student at New York Tech,
- activities and organizations they participate in,
- on- and off-campus work experiences.
The final result is an online resume that will prove invaluable as the student enters the workplace or seeks to continue his or her education.
How does it work?
Students receive an email inviting them to activate their official New York Tech Merit Page.2
Students typically personalize their page by adding photos, importing information from LinkedIn, listing other achievements and work experiences, and connecting to their social media accounts.
Once activated, Merit Pages are updated in two ways:
- Students can add details about their unique academic and co-curricular achievements, honors, awards, affiliations, and internship and work experiences.
- New York Tech adds officially verified academic successes like institutional and/or collegiate honors and graduation.
Of course, students may opt-out of the Merit program at any time.
Questions? Send them to email@example.com.
Sharing the good news
Students are notified by email each time new content has been added to their Merit Page. The email notification includes an option for the student to share the news via their social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
When New York Tech adds content to Merit Pages, those achievements are also shared with the student’s local newspapers, former high school principal and school counselors, and elected officials who represent their hometown in state government.3
When a student graduates, his or her Merit Page becomes inactive to the university, but remains accessible to the student. Students are encouraged to continue updating their Merit Page after graduation so that they can use it as a tool to begin their career or pursue additional educational opportunities.
“Following” a New York Tech Student
Parents, friends, high school teachers and school counselors, coaches, and prospective employers can also keep up to date on a New York Tech student’s accomplishments. By creating a “Follower Account,” they receive email updates when New York Tech publishes an accomplishment that features students they are following.
All non-student Followers must sign up to follow a student, and all New York Tech students have the ability to block a Follower.
New York Tech’s Merit Page program is coordinated by New York Tech’s Office of Strategic Communications and External Affairs. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.Visit New York Tech’s Merit Page:
Students: Building a resume? Use your Merit Page!
2. All New York Tech students enrolled as of July 2018 will receive an official Merit Page. ↩
3. Students who have their former high school on file with New York Tech will have their New York Tech verified achievements delivered in a weekly digest to their high school administrator. Students who have their U.S. hometown on file with New York Tech will have their New York Tech achievements delivered in a weekly digest to their state-level elected official. ↩