Peter Douris received his M.S. in Physical Therapy in 1982 from Columbia University.; his doctorate in Applied Physiology from Columbia University in 1989; and his Doctor of Physical Therapy from New York Tech in 2007. He a board certified clinical specialist in orthopedics by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialist. Douris was the founding chair of the Department of Physical Therapy at New York Tech from 1996 to 2004. His research on exercise, martial art training, cognition and exercise, and phototherapy among other topics has been published in the Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy British Journal of Sports Medicine, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy, Cranio, Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, Asian Journal of Sports Medicine, and Journal of Human Kinetics. Douris has presented at various state, national, and international scientific conferences. He has also appeared several times on television discussing various health topics.
- The Effects of Aerobic Exercise and Videogaming on Cognitive Performance in Young Adults.
- Interdisciplinary knowledge of Medical Students and Doctors.
- The Examination of Arterial Stiffness and Neurodynamics of Middle Aged Individuals.
- The Effect of OMM and Phototherapy on Chronic Low Back Pain.
- The Effects of Blood Flow Restriction Training on Anaerobic, Aerobic, and Functional Improvements in a Subject with Parkinson’
- Wilson V, Douris PC, Fukuroku T, Dias J, Figueiredo P, Kuzniewski M, Fombon A. The Immediate and Long-term Effects of Kinesiotape® on Balance and Functional Performance. Interl J Sport PT. (11), 2016
- Douris P, Douris C, Balder N, LaCasse M, Rand A, Tarapore F, Zuchkan A, Handrakis J. Martial Art Training and Cognitive Performance in Middle-Aged Adults. J Hum Kin. (47), 2015
- Douris P, Ingenito T,Piccirillo B, Herbst H,Petrizzo J, Cherian V,McCutchan C,Burke C, Stamatinos G,Jung MK. Martial Arts Training Attenuates Arterial Stiffness in Middle Aged Adults. Asian J Sports Med.(4) , 2013
- Douris PC, Borukhov L, Espinoza J, Klien J, Levane K, Li T, Northern R, Rando C, Santo M.Phototherapy and Grip Muscle Performance. J Novel Physiothe. (2),I2012
- Douris P, McDonald B, Vespi F, Copeland Kelly N, Herman L.Comparison Between Nintendo WiiFit Aerobics and Traditional Aerobic Exercise in Sedentary Young Adults. J Strength Cond Res.(26) 2012
Courses Taught at New York Tech
- PHTH 690: Research I
- PHTH 660: Exercise Physiology
- PHTH 620: Massage
- PHTH 780: Manual Therapy III
- PHTH 665: Pathophysiology
- PHTH 710: Research II
- PHTH 790: Research III
- PHTH 640: Administration and Delivery of Healthcare
- HSCI 330: Exercise Physiology
Professional Honors and Awards
- Award for Outstanding Research, NYIT School of Health Professions, Behavioral and Life Sciences, 2007
- Standard of Excellence Distinguished Research Award, NYIT School of Health Professions, Behavioral and Life Sciences, 2007
- Outstanding Leadership Award, NYIT School of Health Professions, Behavioral and Life Sciences, 2004