Department of Digital Art and Design Laptop Policy
The Department of Digital Art and Design requires that all students purchase their own laptop, which has enough storage space to accommodate the appropriate software and is strong enough to support their academic coursework and help them excel in the evolving technology, art, and design professions.
The following laptop options are suggested by the department, can be purchased at an educational discount, and will be supported by New York Tech's IT team.
You may be eligible to use your financial aid to purchase a computer. For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid.
Students are encouraged to purchase a specific Dell laptop recommended by New York Tech.
Minimum Required Computer Specification
|Digital Arts and Emerging Technology
New 15" Dell G5 STUDENT PURCHASE LINK
10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-10300H (8MB Cache, up to 4.5 GHz, 4 cores)
Windows 10 Home 64bit English NVIDIA®
GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6
8GB DDR4-2933MHz, 2x4G
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
|Graphic Design/Motion Graphics
MACBOOK PRO – STUDENT PURCHASE LINK
13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (Standard Model Laptop) 2.0GHz quad-core
10th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based SSD
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
Optimal/High-End Computer Specification
|Emerging Technology (VR/AR)
ALIENWARE 17" Alienware M17 R3 GAMING LAPTOP – STUDENT PURCHASE LINK
10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10750H (6-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 5.0GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8GB
GDDR6 - Max Performance
32GB DDR4 2666MHz
1TB (2x 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD) RAID0 [Boot] +
512GB PCIe M.2 SSD [Storage]
|Animation, 3D Arts, and VFX (strongly recommended)
XPS 15 Laptop – STUDENT PURCHASE LINK
9th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-9980HK (16 MB
Cache, 8 Core, up to 5 GHz)
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
32GB DDR4-2666MHz, 2x16G
1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Hardware and Software Requirements
Students will be required to purchase and install on their machines the software listed below once the computer has been purchased. Some students, depending on their major and courses, will be required to purchase some additional software below. If you plan on purchasing a Mac computer, please note that the required software listed before is for Windows. Note that Google Drive is available for all New York Tech students as a storage and file backup.
- Adobe Creative Cloud and Microsoft Office software are required for ALL degrees.
- Each degree and elective may require additional software, listed below.
Digital Arts, B.F.A. and Digital Art & Design, M.F.A. – Fine Arts & Technology concentration
Graphic Design, B.F.A. and Digital Art & Design, M.F.A. – Graphic Design concentration
UX/UI Design & Development, M.A.
Students must check with their advisers and instructors what software is used in their courses. Standard software for the first academic year is the Adobe CC (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, After Effects) and Maya. Students should reach out to their professors for any clarification.
Students who wish to purchase a Macbook Pro should be advised of the following issues related to owning and operating a Mac:
- The New York Tech Program Dell laptop discounted price and IT Support plan will not apply to Mac or other alternative laptop model purchased.
- To purchase an adequate and properly equipped Macbook Pro, you will also be required to incur additional initial and maintaining costs including: purchase and download of Bootcamp or VM Ware, a copy of Windows 10x64, and increased or upgraded hardware for to the PC performance equivalency.
- Purchasing a Mac laptop will not permit upgrades to any of the components in the future.
- The performance specification for the Mac will require 200% more power than the required PC. The Mac laptop will require a partition to run both Mac and PC. This splits the computers performance in half.
New York Tech IT Computer Support
Please contact Service Central.
School of Architecture and Design Point of Contact
Long Island Campus
Marie Odile Baretsky
Education Hall, Room 274
New York City Campus
Edward Guiliano Global Center, Room 1010
We understand that the cost of the laptop seems high when compared to off-the-shelf models, but the specified model is planned to last the duration of the program, and to guarantee the right performances to fulfill the assignments required in your courses. The text below will help clarify the reasons to purchase a well-equipped machine from the beginning. If you have additional questions, please direct them to the point of contacts listed above for each campus location.
- Some laptops do not allow aftermarket upgrades of memory, so it is necessary to purchase a computer which will perform well throughout the program, as software updates require more memory with updates and newer versions.
- Some laptop manufacturers split storage into a small initial partition, and a larger secondary partition. A laptop must have a 512GB initial partition (the C: drive on Windows) to meet the computer requirements.
- Laptops do not allow the addition of new video hardware. In order to run all of the required 3D modeling software programs, it is important to have a computer that has a video card that meets the minimum specifications.