New York Tech at a Glance
Since 1955, New York Tech has pursued its mission to:
Why New York Tech is the right choice for you!
- Provide career-oriented professional education
- Give all qualified students access to opportunity
- Support research and scholarship that benefit the larger world
By 2028, New York Institute of Technology will become one of the most significant academic, scientific, and economic higher education assets to the City of New York, the region, and the state, by providing a premier experience for our students.
At New York Institute of Technology, caring and expert faculty and staff provide a student experience that:
- inspires critically creative thinking in professional programs infused with technology; and
- empowers our graduates to change the world, to solve 21st-century challenges, and to reinvent the future.
Our Institutional Goal
New York Institute of Technology, by providing an outstanding student experience, will become one of the best private institutions of higher education in metropolitan New York City and Long Island.
Learning and Achievement Goals
An ad hoc committee of New York Tech's Academic Senate coordinated conversations among faculty, staff, and students as well as key stakeholders (including school and program advisory boards, prospective employers, and alumni) to develop institution-level educational goals for student learning and achievement for all students at all academic levels and at all locations. The following goals were adopted by the Senate in fall 2015:
By the time of graduation, New York Tech students will, at the appropriate level (bachelors, masters or professional):
- Gain a coherent understanding of the knowledge, skills, and values of their discipline
- Achieve proficiency in oral and written communication, scientific and quantitative reasoning, critical analysis, technological competency, and information literacy
- Integrate academic and co-curricular learning to explore concepts and questions that bridge disciplines, professions, and cultures
- Formulate evidence-based and ethical courses of action or conclusions to address challenges and problems
- Engage with, respond to, and reflect on political, social, environmental and economic challenges at local, national, and global levels
- Develop self-efficacy, professionalism, creativity, and an innovative spirit
Achievement goals represent our hopes for who our alumni will become later in life. Our goal while they are at New York Tech is to provide our students with enough experiences to cultivate the traits they will need later in life to have satisfying lives.
After graduating, New York Tech alumni:
- Are prepared for long-term success in work and life
- Contribute to local and global communities through social and professional relationships
- Remain connected to New York Tech
Who We Are:
- Full-Time Students, (all campuses): 9,559
- Undergraduates: 4,764
- Graduate and Medical Students: 4,450
- 55.3% male/44.7% female
- 11:1 student-to-faculty ratio
- Represent 90 countries and 40 states
- Racial and Ethnic Subgroups
- American Indian/Alaska Native: <1%
- Asian: 18%
- Black/African-American: 5%
- Hispanic/Latino: 9%
- Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: <1%
- Non-resident alien: 27%
- Two or more races: 1%
- Unknown: 11%
- White: 27%
- Percentage of full-time students, both graduate and undergraduate, who received any federal financial assistance (Title IV aid): 58%
- Percentage of full-time undergraduates who received a Federal Pell Grant: 43%
- Alumni: 107,000
- Faculty (Jan. 1, 2019): 364 full-time; 536 part-time
- Staff (Jan. 1, 2019): 790 full-time; 113 part-time
- President: Hank Foley, Ph.D.
- Nickname: Bears
Where We Are:
New York Institute of Technology is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and chartered by the Board of Regents of the State University of New York; our individual programs and schools as well as our global campuses also have prestigious accreditations. See a complete list of accrediting agencies.
Applied Research and Scholarship
New York Tech's research efforts are receiving unprecedented funding from national agencies and our own internal efforts. Our expertise in areas such as cybersecurity, robotics, implantable/wearable technologies, medicine, health care, sustainability, and more are providing solutions for real-world problems.
Global Thought Leadership
In addition to ground-breaking research, New York Institute of Technology leads the way in creating world-class forums for experts around the world to convene to discuss, strategize, and propose solutions for the world's greatest challenges. Topics of recent New York Tech conferences include:
- Provocative Perspectives on Health